Monday, April 03, 2006

Fantasy Baseball Draft

So I had my Fantasy Baseball draft this weekend, and I am very pleased with the team that I drafted. I was able to follow through on my usual baseball draft strategy: solid proven offense early rounds (1-4), upper tier young pitchers middle (5-6), young high ceiling position players (7-11), relievers/young pitching prospects (12-14). Now, this strategy has worked for me in every baseball pool that I have ever been in especially since I have never not finished first in a baseball pool. Its really amazing, I have no idea how I do it, I mean if only I could have that kind of drafting ability in football. Alas, fantasy baseball seems to be my skill.

So here are the 2006 Prodigal Champs:
1B - David Ortiz, Boston
(I know he isn't actually a 1st baseman, but he does have eligibility there. Big Papi is the core of my offense, I am expecting 45 HRs, 135 RBI, with a decent average. Papi is a hitting machine, my biggest worry is his new contract, hopefully he won't get lazy, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of player that would. A great 1st round pick)

2B - Richie Weeks, Milwakee
(Here is one of the young high-ceiling guys I was talking about. He had a decent OBPS last year of about .780, and great hitters tend to have an OBPS of about .825, so Richie is on the cusp. He is only in his 2nd year, so I really expect him to make the leap this year, and become one of the top young 2Bs in the league. Big minus? He's a Brewer, that's never a good thing)

SS - Bobby Crosby, Oakland
(I am pumped about Bobby, I had him a couple of seasons ago when he was a rookie, and he was great. I mean, he never played for me because I had Micheal Young, but he would've been great if he did. He had a lot of injuries last year, but I think he is going to bounce back. He has great OBPS and he is hitting in a great spot to rack up RBIs, so I am hoping for him to take that step towards super-stardom.)

3B - Scott Rolen, St. Louis
(Bring back that old-school flavour with Rolen. When he's healthy, I would argue that Rolen is one of the best third basemen in the MLB. Only problem is that he keeps getting hurt. Hopefully, his torn shoulder is back to normal because if you look at his OBPS and where he is hitting in the Card lineup, Rolen could have quite a memorable season. Having Pujols and Edmonds hit around him is very comforting.)

C - Victor Martinez, Cleveland
(The crown jewel of the team along with Big Papi. Martinez is a monster at catcher. I had him during his rookie season, and he was amazing. Since then, he's actually gotten better. He is the best offensive catcher in the league, bar none. I know I could've had Joe Mauer a little later, and I could've taken another power OF bat, but Victor will give me such an advantage at a weak position, that he can take me all the way to the promise land.)

I'll be breaking down my outfield and pitching staff later in the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home