Thursday, April 06, 2006

My Outfield and Pitching Staff

Here is my final entry about my baseball team.

CF - Carlos Beltran: I think he is due for a bounce back yet. Getting the $100 million contract probably set him up for failure last year. No one lives up to those contracts in their first years, but I think Carlos will step up in a much improved Met's lineup.

OF - Jason Lane: One reason - Minute Maid Park. That ballpark is smaller than an arena, its ridiculous, seriously if the roof is open, and the wind is carrying that day, I think a bunt might reach the warning track.

OF - Rocco Beldeli: Hopefully, he comes back 100%, but if he breaks down again, which is totally possible since he seems somewhat injury prone, I have Delmon Young on my team to pick up the slack

Pitching:
Since my strategy is all about building an All-Star Offense, I have to gamble with young pitchers, hopefully, I don't get burned. I'll cover the top 4 starters, and my best reliever (to keep this blog sane)

SP - Felix Hernandez: Every baseball person on Earth is calling him the second coming of Doc Gooden (who's in jail now, and that's about the saddest thing, when he was K'ing 2 guys an inning, did anyone think it would end like this?). Anyway, he is a flamethrower, and he plays in a pitcher's park, that's all I really needed to know.

SP - Dan Haren: Decent year last year, doesn't get the hype that Rich Harden does (shout to to a future Canadian Cy Young winner), but he is solid. He'll eat innings and get me a good share of wins and K's, can't ask for much more out of my #2.

SP - Javier Vazquez: Every year since he left Montreal (R.I.P. - Expos), he's been a disappointment. Do I think this year is going to be different? Probably not, but he always starts the year off on fire (see Yankees and D-Backs), so I figure, I'll trade him at the All-Star break for an up and comer, and maybe some more outfield help.

SP - Kerry Wood: Remember 16 K's in one game? I do, but it seems like a lifetime away. I am not counting on Kerry to be old Kerry, but if he does bounce back in June, maybe he dominates down the streach. Maybe he doesn't, I am expecting little, so if he isn't a cadaver on the mound, its a bonus.

RP - Jon Palpebon: The leader of my motely crew in the bullpen. I don't have any closers, but Keith Foulke is beyond done at this point, and it is only a matter of time before Palpebon is closing. He'll be lights out, and I'll be racking up the saves since Boston's defense is atrocious.

I know I hate the Red Sox, and I now have 2 on my team, but I can explain. One, Big Papi is not like Jason Veritek, Big Papi is actually good. Plus he isn't white, and I kind of like all the Red Sox who aren't white, I think its cause I imagine Boston to be a real cracker town. Two, Palpebon throws in the high 90's. I love pitchers who throw in the high 90's like I love RBs/WRs/CBs who run 40's in the 4.2's - 4.3's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home